- To lay down a procedure of Chlorination & sanitization of chlorine dosing tank.
- This SOP is applicable for the chlorination process and sanitization of the chlorine dosing tank in the formulation plant.
- Operator / Technician shall be responsible for chlorination and chemical sanitization of chlorine dosing tank.
- Engineering personnel shall be responsible for checking the chlorination & sanitization.
- Department Head & QA Head shall be accountable for the implementation of this SOP.
Abbreviations and Definitions
- QA: Quality Assurance
- SOP: Standard Operating Procedure
- QC: Quality Control
- Chlorination shall be done by 6.0% w/v sodium hypochlorite solution.
- Take 45 liters of fresh raw water in a dosing tank.
- Prepare the sodium hypochlorite solution having a concentration of 6.0 % w/v.
- Add 5 liter of prepared sodium hypochlorite solution into the dosing tank and stir with S.S. ladle to form a uniform solution.
- Maintain the free chlorine level is about 2 ppm by adjusting the dosing rate.
- After chlorination, the sampling valve of the sampling point shall open and water shall be drained for at least five minutes.
- Water sample shall be taken by the operator from sampling point no. and this sample shall be sent to QC to check the free chlorine level in the water.
- Sodium hypochlorite solution preparation & consumption record shall be maintained as per annexure-I
- Frequency: Daily
- Drain the content of the dosing tank.
- Clean with raw water.
- Take 50 liters of potable water in the dosing tank.
- Add 50 ml of sodium hypochlorite solution (6% w/v concentration- Approx.) in the dosing tank & stir with the help of S.S ladle.
- Remove the dosing pump tubing from the dosing line & put it into the dosing tank and run the dosing pump for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Keep the tank filled with sodium hypochlorite solution for 4 hours.
- Clean the tank with potable water having 1-2 ppm of available chlorine.
- After completion of cleaning, the tank is ready to use.
- Sanitization of chlorine dosing tank shall be planned in a holiday to avoid the shortage of water.
- Sanitization record shall be maintained
- Frequency: Monthly
Forms and Records (Annexures)
- Sodium Hypochlorite Solution Preparation & consumption Record – Annexure-I
- Sanitization of Chlorine Dosing Tank – Annexure-II
- Master copy – Quality Assurance
- Controlled copies – Quality Assurance & Engineering
|Date||Revision Number||Reason for Revision|
Sodium Hypochlorite Solution Preparation & Consumption Record
|Date||Qty. received||Received by||Qty. used||Balance Qty.||Sodium Hypochlorite Solution Preparation (NaOCl)||Checked by|
|Qty. of NaOCl||Qty. of water||Total Quantity Prepared||Solution Prepared by|
Sanitization of Chlorine Dosing Tank
|Date||Chemical Used||Chemical Prepared by||Conc. of Chemical||Soaking Time of Tank & Dosing Pipes||Done by||Checked by|